Friday, February 19, 2010

Knitting Lessons

Dear Emilie,

Yesterday I started the first of several knitting lessons I'll be giving over the next six weeks.  Take a moment to read this before reading on.  (I'll wait.  I'll even hum a little music for you. lol) ;-)

Well, let me begin by saying I made it through...and I think we are heading in the right direction.  I've ended up with three students in addition to my oldest.  The first lesson, which included her and her friend, didn't go as planned.  But I somewhat expected that.  That's why I'm thankful I'm flexible. (smile) The little girl immediately started pulling, very randomly, at her skein of yarn before I could stop her.  So, after I showed them different sized needles, different types of yarn, she (and her mother--mainly) spent the rest of our time untangling her yarn.  I had my daughter roll her skein into a ball and let this experience be the lesson for today!  We will learn on cast-on at our lesson next week.

The lesson I gave to the High Schooler went a bit more smoothly.  He was able to pick it up so that at the end of our hour and half session he'd learned to cast-on and the knit stitch.  He was so proud of himself.  He quietly asked me if my husband knew how to knit.  When I said no, he said, "Good. I'll know something he doesn't know."  [A little background: my husband has taken this student 'under his wing' for the past two years. He admires my dh greatly!]

While instructing the High Schooler, I got another student. One of the teacher asked if she could send her daughter over and I agreed.  Now this little princess (middle-school age I'm guessing) was a knitter in a former life.  She picked it up in about ten minutes.  I was blown away.  Now, she definitely has to practice it and learn about tension, but she can knit.

I gave them both the homework of practicing the knit stitch.  They each are going to be making a scarf.  Depending upon how much progress they've made and how things are looking we may move to the purl stitch.  I'll play that one by ear.

So, as you can see, things went really well for my first of many knitting lessons.  Perhaps after these sessions (and a few more) I'll offer my skills at a local Michael's.  We'll see.  Just thankful for some more possibilities!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh and you quilt too?
We are going to get along great!! lol