Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Knit Two Together

Dear Leslie, and Family,

As you know, this weekend we (my husband of 15 years) and I had the privilege to attend a marriage retreat. Even though we have attended one before, somehow, this time, I did not know what to expect. My Love and I have been living apart during the week for nearly 3 years now (he is home every weekend, and naturally, during that time there has been the week here or there, that he is either here, or I am there! LOL). So, going in to the weekend, I was tired. Emotionally and physically. And marriagely (yeah, I just made that word up).

Ephesians 5: 21, 22 "For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery..."

A great mystery indeed.

The time at the marriage retreat was so refreshing for me. I encourage every husband and wife to MAKE the time to go (and I am willing to come babysit when you do!) We attended the one in South Atlantic Conference. It is always wonderful. There were 189 other Africian-American couples there, married from 6 months to 50+ years. The love, sharing, encouragment---having other couples surround us and pray for us, our marriage--it all touched me so deeply.


I have struggled, at times, to see God's design for marriage from the beginning. I know His plan was perfect. Some days I wonder what happened! But, it was good to be reminded at the retreat how difficult these years can be at times, years 4-25 or so. So much of life happens---career building, childbearing and rearing, running to everything, and that couple time is often put on eternal hold. After all, these things are important, right? Well, I am learning I have to make, well, demand time for just US---and I see my Love doing likewise. We must tell other things no, so that we can have time for just the two of us.

So, in our away time together this weekend, he helped me roll my yarn into balls---and I, in turn, helped him with his balls. (Yeah, OOC, huh?) We laughed, we talked, we shared---some things we seldom get to do in our real world time, because there is always some child, dog, or church situation requiring our attention.

Most importantly, I had time to humbly thank the Lord for giving me the gift of my husband. And I reflected on God's plan for our marriage, and how He is continually weaving the two of us into one.

Who knew God was a knitter!

1 comment:

~Leslie said...

Yes, God is definitely a knitter. That's what She did while we were in our mother's womb!

So glad that you and your husband had a good time at the retreat! (Your ball comment was way out of control!!)

Isn't it amazing just how much you can do if you don't have to clean and take care of children? I guess this is why so many women have chefs, housekeepers and nannies (or really want them!